Home | Site Map | Attorney Profile | FAQs | Resources

The Law Offices of Brian A. Grady, P.C.
Attorney At Law

Itasca Bank & Trust Building
Second Floor
9 East Irving Park Road
Roselle, IL. 60172
Phone:(630) 351 - 4466
Fax: (630) 894 - 2528



The court will make one party pay support to the parent who has physical residential custody of the minor child. The amount of support is usually based upon a percentage of the non-custodian's net income and is as follows:

Number of Children Percent of Supporting Party's Net Income
1 20%
2 28%
(effective 7/10/03)
3 32%
4 40%
5 45%
6 or more 50%

The court can determine, taken into account of the best interests of the child, that the payor shall pay a less or greater amount of his / her income, based upon the following factors:

750 ILCS 5 / 505


Net Income is defined, pursuant to 750 ILCS 505 (a)(3):

"Net Income" is defined as the total of all income from all sources, minus the following deductions:

(a) Federal income tax (properly calculated withholding or estimated payments);

(b) State income tax (properly calculated withholding or estimated payments);

(c) Social Security (FICA) payments);

(d) Mandatory retirement contributions required by law or as a condition of employment;

(e) Union dues;

(f) Dependent and individual health/hospitalizationinsurance premiums;

(g) Prior obligations of support or maintenance actually paid pursuant to a court order;

(h) Expenditures for repayment of debts that represent reasonable and necessary expenses for the production of income, medical expenditures necessary to preserve life or health, reasonable expenditures for the benefit of the child and other parent, exclusive of gifts. The court shall reduce net income in determining the minimum amount of support to be ordered only for the period that such payments are due and shall enter an order containing provisions for its self-executing modification upon termination of such payment period.